Awards, Scholarships and Bursaries
Last year, Red River College administered awards, bursaries, and scholarships totaling more than $2.9 million to help students achieve their academic goals. These awards are intended to support students who have shown outstanding abilities in academic or vocational areas and/or are in need of financial assistance.
The College’s Awards and Financial Aid Office provides a number of support services for students, including information on financial assistance programs available to Manitoba students.
Applying for an Award, Scholarship or Bursary
- Explore the complete list of awards, scholarships and bursaries to see which ones you’re eligible for and can apply for by the deadline.
- Download the application form and review the tips listed below to help you fill it out.
- Submit the completed application and any supplemental documents to the Student Service Centre.
For more information about Red River College’s awards, bursaries and scholarships, drop into the Awards and Financial Aid Office, contact a Student Service Centre or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
Tips for Applying for Awards, Scholarships or Bursaries
- Get started early. Review the awards, bursaries and scholarships to see which ones you qualify for and apply for all those you do. If you do not meet the criteria then your application will automatically be declined.
- Be accurate and complete. Your application should include as much detail as possible and include all requested documentation, including financial information requested.
- Be personal and specific. Answer the questions to the best of your ability and remember this is the only information that the selection committee has about you to help them in their decision making.
- Proofread your application. It’s a good idea to type out your answers in a Word document and use spellcheck to find mistakes and grammatical errors before copying them to your application. Keep copies of everything that you send.
- Choose your references carefully. If references are required, ensure they can speak to your personal skills and abilities in relation to your application. A reference could be a teacher, employer, etc. Notify your reference in advance to get their approval and to make them aware of your application, as well as criteria of the award.
- Don’t miss the deadline. Late entries will not be accepted so make sure you know the deadlines listed on the website.
- Ask for help. If you need assistance, contact the Awards and Financial Aid Office.
- Keep your contact information current. If any of your contact information changes, update your personal information on HUB.
- Check your RRC student email account. You’ll be notified through your RRC student email account whether you have or have not received an award. If you’re offered an award, send a thank you – if your application is declined, you can ask for feedback.
- Continue trying. Keep up your marks, athletics, leadership, and volunteer work, and continue to look at ways to apply for awards, scholarships and bursaries throughout your studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I have a financial emergency?
If you’re experiencing a financial emergency, set up a time to meet with a financial aid and awards officer and they’ll help you understand your options.
Where can I find information on financial aid or how to apply for financial aid?
See RRC’s information on financial aid. When you apply to Manitoba Student Aid, you become eligible for loans and grants, not only from Manitoba Student Aid, but also from the Canada Student Loans Program. If you’re not a Manitoba resident, your application for financial assistance must be made through your home province.
There are other lenders that also provide student financial aid and you can find out more by contacting the Awards and Financial Aid Office.
How do I find out if I have received an award, scholarship or bursary?
You will receive an email to your Red River College student email account with notification if you are a successful recipient of a student award, scholarship or bursary.
What if my personal information changes?
Let the College know about changes to your personal information such an address, phone or email by updating your information by using HUB.