Apprenticeship programs provide Manitobans with recognized certification as skilled journeypersons and ensure that qualified trades professionals are available to meet industry requirements for workers in the skilled trades. Apprenticeship comprises over fifty trades and sub-trades designated under the Manitoba Apprenticeship and Certification Act.
Apprenticeship training combines on the job practical skills development with levels of technical training. Program standards and curriculum are approved by the Apprenticeship and Certification Board, on the recommendation of Provincial Advisory Committees, whose members represent Manitoba industry.
Apprenticeship training varies from two to five levels, depending on the trade. The average length of apprenticeship training is four levels. For each level, apprentices spend 80 percent of their time learning practical skills on the job. The remaining 20 percent is for technical training which is usually 4-10 weeks. Many of the apprenticeship technical training courses are administered in full-time day classes by Red River College. At the end of apprenticeship training, apprentices write a certification examination and must score at least 70 per cent to receive a Certificate of Qualification in the trade.
For more information, visit Apprenticeship Manitoba.
To enter apprenticeship training, an individual must first find an employer who is positive about on-the-job training and is willing to enter into an apprenticeship agreement.
Apprenticeship Manitoba, Entrepreneurship Training and Trade provides information and assistance in establishing an apprenticeship agreement, monitors the on-the-job training and makes arrangements for the in-school training.
The employer agrees to give specific on-the-job training for the apprentice in all areas of the trade. For the majority of trades, the minimum age requirement is 16 years. It is recommended that applicants have successfully completed high school.